MIDDLETOWN, NJ - At 12:05 PM on Saturday January 2, 2016, the Middletown Township Fire Department was dispatched to a report of an explosion and garage fire at 880A Lincoln Street in the Fairview of Middletown Township. Approximately 60 firefighters from 3 stations of the Middletown Township Fire Department (Middletown Number 1, River Plaza Hose and the Old Village Fire Companies), under the command of Department Fire Chief John Gorsegner responded to the scene.
The first arriving fire units encountered heavy fire and smoke emanating from the first floor garage of the two story structure. Firefighters quickly advanced two hand lines into the structure to suppress the flames in the first floor garage, quickly firefighters and fire command discovered the fire was primarily a petroleum based fire, they quickly modified the attack to use AFFF foam to suppress the fuel feeding the fire. The fire was quickly contained and efforts were then concentrating on quickly removing the smoke from the structure and checking the living area above the garage for possible fire extension.
The firefighters ensured the fire was contained with the use of Thermal Imaging Cameras (TICs). Then salvage and overhaul operations were performed to protect the contents of the structure. There was heavy smoke damage to the second floor of the structure. The firefighters used a series of fans to ventilate the toxic smoke from the structure. Utilities to structure were secured.
Chief Gorsegner declared the fire under control at 12:30 PM. The last units cleared the scene by 2:00 PM.
Assisting on the scene were the Middletown Township Fire Department’s Air Support Unit. The Port Monmouth First Aid Squad treated the homeowner at the scene for injuries sustained from the fire, he refused further treatment, no firefighters were injured and the EMS stoodby to provide EMS support during the incident.
The fire is being investigated by the Middletown Township Fire Prevention office.