Asbury Park, NJ - As prom season approaches the nation, it also presents a great opportunity for the LGBTQ community to come together, dress up in fancy tuxedos and gowns, and help to promote a worthy cause.
Pink Prom, to be held on Friday, May 3, 2013 at the Hotel Tides, is a fundraising event where the community will have the chance to support an organization that has performed countless good deeds. This year, for the 1st Annual Pink Prom, proceeds will benefit The Pride Network.
The Pride Network strives to develop a more involved and informed LGBTQ community through leadership programs and practical solutions that build, educate and empower sustainable community networks. The organization also looks to a time when a fundamental part of being an LGBTQ individual is the opportunity to access a community that empowers and informs its members about their collective past, present and future.
"My goal in starting this annual event was not only to allow our community to come together and have a good time at an event where in our younger lives, in high school, we may not have been able to enjoy the prom with someone of the same sex. But I also wanted, as a gay community leader, to do something that would be financially beneficial for an organization doing so many good deeds for us," said Eric Pinckney, author of the city's LGBTQ blog, "Living in the gay scene of Asbury Park".
Pink Prom, to be held from 8 pm to 12 am, is a 21-and-over only event and will include the following:
- Free admission to Paradise Nightclub for the after-party;
- Passed hors d'oeuvres and buffet;
- Drink specials all night;
- Three complimentary "spiked" punch bowls, and cash bar available;
- Live entertainment provided by Josh Zuckerman, Ari Gold and gay rapper, Nasty Nick. Zuckerman is a nationally-known singer, songwriter and musician who also performs locally. Nasty Nick is a rapper/artist/performer who has had numerous successes in the recording industry; Gold is an award winning Billboard top 10 recording artist;
- Drag performance by Asbury Park's own Morgan LeFaye;
- Meet & Greet with our official prom chaperone, Charlie The MatchMaker. Charlie is the author of "Love Made Easy;"
- Dancing with DJ Mick Hale;
- Desserts provided by Sugarush;
- a local photographer to snap memorable prom photos of attendees;
- 2013 Prom King & Queen presentation by a special guest;
- Special commemorative book.
The cost for tickets is $60 per person if purchased by March 15th; $75 per person if purchased after. Tickets are available online at www.hoteltides.com. Discounted rooms are available at the Hotel Tides for the weekend of this event when you mention promo code "prom". Call for reservations at 732-897-7744. Hotel Tides is located at 408 7th Ave., Asbury Park, NJ.