AHHerald Search

Trenton, NJ – The Christie Administration today announced that four Monmouth County municipalities will share $800,000 to fund projects under competitive FY 11 Local Aid grant programs.

The grant recipients, Allentown Borough, Atlantic Highlands Borough, Belmar Borough and Red Bank Borough, are among 33 municipalities or counties statewide that are sharing approximately $7.6 million in grants under four state-funded Local Aid programs.  The programs – Transit Village, Centers of Place, Bikeways and Safe Streets to Transit – are part of New Jersey’s $200 million Local Aid program.

“These grants will support a variety of safety and quality-of-life projects at the local level without burdening local property taxpayers,” said NJDOT Commissioner James Simpson.  “The level of competition demonstrates how valuable these grants are to local officials who make difficult spending decisions each year.”

Belmar Borough will receive $200,000 through the Transit Village program for a streetscape improvement project within walking distance of a transit facility.  Grants under the Transit Village program promote economic revitalization and mixed-use development in designated Transit Village zones.

Red Bank Borough will receive $250,000 for pedestrian improvements and Allentown Borough will receive $200,000 for a streetscape project through the Centers of Place program.  Centers of Place grants are awarded for non-traditional transportation projects that advance development in municipalities designated as “urban, regional, town or village centers” in accordance with the State Development and Redevelopment Plan.

Atlantic Highlands Borough will receive $150,000 for a bikeway project through the Bikeways program, which provides funds to counties and municipalities to promote the safe use of bicycles as an alternate transportation mode.

NJDOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount when a recipient awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project.

Click below for lists of the 33 projects selected for grants sorted by program:

Transit Village http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2011/documents/TranVillage2011grants.pdf

Centers of Place http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2011/documents/COPlace2011grants.pdf

Bikeways http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2011/documents/Bikeway2011grants.pdf

SSTT http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2011/documents/SSTT2011grants.pdf