Poisonous Mushrooms in New Jersey
Poisonous Mushrooms in New Jersey. Credit: Rutgers University

New Jersey – Hot, humid, and wet — the perfect weather conditions for a potentially dangerous wild mushroom season in New Jersey. Each year the medical professionals at the NJ Poison Control Center are called upon to assist with cases of mushroom exposure and poisoning. Poisoning results from eating toxic species of wild mushrooms. Sadly, some cases result in hospitalizations and even deaths. Symptoms of mushroom poisoning include intense vomiting and diarrhea, dehydration, and damage to vital organs like the liver.

Mushroom poisoning is a preventable injury — do not eat wild mushrooms unless they’ve been identified as safe to eat by a mushroom expert. Picking and eating wild mushrooms growing in gardens/fields, on lawns or in the woods is a dangerous game. Even experienced and expert mushroom pickers are fooled at times by toxic look-alikes.

“Don’t be fooled, eating the wrong species of mushroom can result in devastating health effects,” says Diane Calello, executive and medical director of the New Jersey Poison Control Center at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Department of Emergency Medicine. “Mistaken identity is a significant risk of picking wild mushrooms. Many edible mushrooms growing in the wild have toxic look-alikes. It can be extremely difficult to tell an edible species of mushroom from a toxic one as they can look identical.”

Some recipes online and in specialty cookbooks encourage adding an adventurous twist to meals by foraging for wild mushrooms. This suggestion poses an incredibly dangerous risk to the general public as they do not have the many years of education and experience needed to identify toxic look-alikes. 

“The cooking process does not prevent the toxic health effects of some mushrooms,” says Calello. “Depending on the type of mushroom, eating even a few bites can cause serious health concerns. Our recommendation is it’s unsafe for the general public to pick and eat mushrooms found in the wild, no matter the scenario.”


SPONSORED
ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS ANIMAL HOSPITAL
We offer a wide array of various medical services including vaccinations, x-rays, and more! To inquire, don't hesitate to contact us. https://www.atlantichighlandsvet.com

Children and pets are especially at risk for mushroom poisoning, and should always be supervised when they’re outdoors. They too can suffer serious injury and even death from eating a toxic wild mushroom. Teach children to ask an adult first before putting anything in their mouths.

In the event of a potential poisoning by mushrooms:

  • It’s important to get medical help immediately.

Poison control centers are not only a great resource in the event of an emergency, but also for questions and concerns. New Jersey residents can contact the center’s medical professionals in the following ways: Call the Poison Help Hotline at 1-800-222-1222; Text 973-339-0702; Chat via the Poison Center’s website. Stay connected on social: Facebook Twitter.

If someone is unconscious, not breathing, hard to wake up, or having a seizure, immediately call 9-1-1.

Help is Just a Phone Call Away!

Real People. Real Answers.


AHHerald relies on advertising to support our operations.
When you click an affiliate link we may earn a commission.