PHOTO: Firefighters extinquish a shed fire. photos by Allan Dean
ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS, NJ – Atlantic Highlands firefighters responded to a report of a fire at the corner of Grand Avenue and Cross Avenue on Saturday afternoon.
A shed in the backyard at 11 Grand Avenue was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The winds whipped the fire and caused massive flame. Tires, a motor, a generator, a propane tank and gasoline were among the items stored in the shed according to Fire Marshal Martin Hawley.
The homeowner had tried to start his generator without success on Friday night. The area had experienced a short blackout Friday due a storm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER SPONSORED CONTENT
ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS ANIMAL HOSPITAL
We treat each of our patients as part of the family at Atlantic Highlands Animal Hospital. We offer top-quality surgical and dental treatments for cats and dogs. For the best pet care in the Atlantic Highlands, NJ, call us at (732) 291-4400. https://www.atlantichighlandsvet.com
On Saturday he again tried to start the generator but some of the fuel had leaked during the night. A spark caused the blaze and the wind caused the shed to go up in minutes.
Something in the shed contained magnesium, possibly a motor, and it would not be dowsed with water. Approximate 2000 gallons of water was used on the flames. Finally, firefighters used Purple K Dry Chemical, a high performance extinguishing agent, to put out the brightish yellow magnesium fire.
The shed was destroy with nothing but cinders remaining.
Fire Chief Tim Gaffey said approximately 15 firemen responded to the shed fire.
Just as the firefighter were clearing the scene, another call came in. This time, a smoke alarm in an apartment at 25 Ocean Boulevard, sent four Atlantic Highlands fire trucks to scene. A faulty detector was to blame. The building owner was called to address the problem.
One fire truck that left the Grand Avenue fire enroute to the smoke alarm call at Ocean Boulevard and 2nd Avenue had an slight accident with another vehicle at the corner of E. Mount and 8th Avenuve. The truck, 85-75, proceeded to the smoke alarm call. There were no details about the accident were available at the time of publication.