MIDDLETOWN, NJ – At 5:51 PM on Wednesday August 12, 2015, the Middletown Township Fire Department was dispatched to a “report of a smoke condition” at the AT&T complex in the Old Village section of the Township. Approximately 100 firefighters from 7 companies of the Middletown Township Fire Department (Old Village, Middletown #1, Belford Independent, East Keansburg Fire, River Plaza, Brevent Park & Leonardo Fire Companies) under the command of Department Chief Rick Hibell responded to the scene.
Third Assistant Fire Chief Steven Schweizer quickly arrived on the scene and confirmed a heavy smoke condition at that location. Due to the large size of the structure and the enormous volume of smoke, Chief Schweizer quickly requested addition units to respond.
After an extensive search, the firefighter discovered a large electrical cooling circulation pump motor on fire deep inside the complex. Once the power was disconnected from the pump the firefighter quickly extinguished the fire. The firefighter used a series of fans to ventilate the toxic smoke from the structure.
Chief Hibell declared the fire under control at 6:30 PM. The last units cleared the scene by 6:50 PM.
Assisting on the scene were the Middletown Township Fire Department’s Air Support. Several Middletown EMS units stood by during the incident.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER SPONSORED CONTENT
ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS ANIMAL HOSPITAL
The holiday season is approaching quickly, and many families are looking to board their pets while they travel. It’s the perfect time to update vaccinations before holiday travels begin. Call today to schedule an appointment. (732) 291-4400 https://www.atlantichighlandsvet.com
There one civilian reported injury reported during the incident.
The fire is being investigated by the Middletown Township Fire Prevention office.