A pedestrian hit at 40 mph has a 15% chance of surviving a crash with a vehicle. If they are hit at 20 mph, they have an 85% chance. Bike lanes provide protection for bike riders but also serve to reduce vehicle speeds, thereby protecting everyone using the road. 

This Thursday evening our Monmouth County Freeholders will be voting on a resolution that would provide funding for bicycle and pedestrian facilities (e.g. bike lanes and other improvements) throughout Monmouth County.

Help us make our area roads safer for everyone by clicking the link below to tell your freeholders support Freeholder Arnone’s policy when they vote on Thursday night and to fund the implementation of bike lanes and other traffic calming measures on our county roads. 

– Go to the Freeholder Contact Form on the web:  https://co.monmouth.nj.us/FreeholderContact.aspx
– You can just select “All Freeholders” from the dropdown list on the contact form. 

– In the message box you can type your own message of support or just paste in the following.


We treat each of our patients as part of the family at Atlantic Highlands Animal Hospital. We offer top-quality surgical and dental treatments for cats and dogs. For the best pet care in the Atlantic Highlands, NJ, call us at (732) 291-4400. https://www.atlantichighlandsvet.com

 “I support safe walking and bicycling in Monmouth County. Please support Freeholder Arnone’s policy to fund bicycle and pedestrian facilities.”


If you’d like to dig deeper on the finer points of the resolution, The New Jersey Bike & Coalition has published their comments here: 
If safer streets are important to you please use the comment form to tell all Freeholders to vote in favor of this resolution on Thursday day. 
If safer streets are REALLY important to you, please consider forwarding this message on to four other county residents.
Jim Willis / Red Bank Safe Routes

AHHerald relies on advertising to support our operations.
When you click an affiliate link we may earn a commission.

Avatar of Allan Dean

Allan Dean

Allan Dean is editor, publisher, and founder of the Atlantic Highlands Herald. Published since 1999 and selected in 2000 by the Borough of Atlantic Highlands as one of their official newspapers, making...