August 23 at Eastern Branch Library
SHREWSBURY, NJ – As that first day of school approaches, parents of special needs students need to know their rights, in order to insure that their children receive an appropriate education.
On August 23, at 6:30 p.m., the Eastern Branch Library will host a free program on special education law. The library is located at 1001 Route 35 in Shrewsbury.
The speaker is attorney Ralph Gerstein, who practices special education law throughout New Jersey. Ralph and his wife Lois are also the parents of a special needs child who made a successful transition to college and work.
The program will cover:
ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS ANIMAL HOSPITAL
We offer a wide array of various medical services including vaccinations, x-rays, and more! To inquire, don't hesitate to contact us. https://www.atlantichighlandsvet.com
- early intervention services for young children
- types of services available
- special education meetings and creation of an Individualized Educational Program
- inclusion vs. pullout programs- least restrictive environment
- obtaining private school and other out-of-district services
- alternate dispute resolution and mediation
- special education litigation
- accommodations for college and graduate students under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- what to do when a special needs child is charged with a school disciplinary infraction
- and much more
Ample time will be allowed for questions and comments. The program is primarily designed for parents, but educators and other people interested in education law are invited to attend. Written handouts will be available.
This program is designed to provide information about education law in general, and is not designed to provide legal advice for specific problems. Parents who need specific advice are encouraged to contact an attorney who is knowledgeable about special education law.
For more information on this program, please call the Eastern Branch at 1-866-941-8188. For more information on programming at the Monmouth County Library, please visit our website at www.monmouthcountylib.org