Because it is the season to give thanks this week, even though we are commanded to give thanks all the time in all circumstances, I wanted to take time to mention a few special things for which I give thanks.
1. I give thanks to God because the everlasting Creator of the whole universe is my heavenly Father. Because He is my heavenly Father, it takes away the fear about tomorrow or whatever will happen to me, because I am His beloved child.
2. I give thanks to God because the Son, Jesus Christ, is my Redeemer. I praise Him for my salvation and for the price that He paid for me – His life on the cross. I thank Him for He is my brother and my friend.
3. I give thanks to God for the fact that the Holy Spirit is dwelling within me. That is the promise of Jesus Christ; we will not be left alone. God the Holy Spirit will come to dwell with us, to comfort us, to show us how to please God and honor Him in everything.
4. I give thanks to the Lord for my wife Ginny. She has been a blessing to me and to our children. We live by that motto: if things are going well with the mother, all things go well. Ginny has provided stability, direction, finesse, hospitality, and a joyful home.
Article Continues after Sponsored Content
Jackson Pines and Cranston Dean in residency at Langosta Lounge in Asbury Park
LISTEN TO CRANSTON DEAN BAND
LISTEN TO JACKSON PINES
5. I give thanks to the Lord for my four children, my son-in-law, and my grandson. I am pleased that they are working hard, they are seeking to be godly people, but above all they seek to honor the Lord in what they do.
6. I give thanks to God for Central Baptist Church where I am serving as Pastor. In listening to other colleagues in the ministry, I thank God for His blessing upon me and my family in allowing us to serve him in this wonderful church.
7. I give thanks to God for this country which has granted me the privilege of being a citizen. It is a great privilege and I pray for this country and hope that I will be able to honor it by what I do.
8. I give thanks to God for the colleagues I teach with at Palmer Theological Seminary. They are a fantastic group of professors that love to teach so the students that come to study with us will be effective in the Kingdom of God throughout the world.
9. I give thanks for my wife's mother, Mrs. Shirley Hancock, who has always been a gracious hostess during major holidays when we would bring friends and colleagues to share her bountiful table like we do this Thanksgiving Day.
10. I give thanks for you, dear readers. It gives me joy to publish something every week, knowing that you will read the column and sometimes you even respond via email or when you see me in town. In the words of one reader, "You never know what the Pastor's corner will be the next week; therefore, you read it in order to find out!