“During this season of giving, it’s important to remember that the gift of a caring mentor is one that keeps giving over time” said Salcedo, “By becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister to a child or donating toward the cost of creating and supporting a Big-Little match, you can change a child’s life for the better, forever.”
The most meaningful gift that can be given this season is a gift that has the power to truly shape a young person’s future. In 2017, the organization hopes to exceed 2016’s benchmark of 680 Big-Little matches to create 720 matches. In a survey taken by BBBSMMC Littles in 2016, an Outcomes Report was created that showed the positive impact of Big and Little relationships.
Key statistics from the 2016 Youth Outcomes Report:
- 99% of Littles were competent in avoiding risky behaviors like tobacco, drugs and alcohol use.
- 99% were competent in avoiding peer violence.
- 99% reported that they had not been arrested for a crime, offense, or violation.
- 89% of Littles improved or stayed the same in their feelings of scholastic competency.
- 75% felt confident in their social acceptance.
- 97% maintained or had improvement in their relationship with their parent(s).
- 92% of Littles maintained or improved their grades in school.
- 90% believe they will graduate high school.
- 90% believe they will go onto and graduate from college.
- 76% improved or stayed the same in their school attendance.
“Watching our Little Brothers’ and Littles Sisters’ lives unfold over the course of their friendship with their Big is one of the true pleasures I experience. It is so impressive to see the transformations so many Littles have made into confident, ambitious, young adults” commented BBBSMMC Case Manager Sandi Mangino.
In the coming year, BBBSMMC will be hosting a variety of events to support the organization and raise funds. Some of these events include Bowl for Kids Sake, Food & Wine Tasting, Fore! The Kids Golf Outing, Beach Volleyball Tournament, and Annual Gala.