Heavy smoke and fire found in basement on Daniel Drive

MIDDLETOWN, NJ - At 06:03 PM on Tuesday September 6, 2016, the Middletown Township Fire Department was dispatched to a “dryer fire” at 26 Daniel Drive in the Old Village section of the Township.  The residents were in the house when they were alerted to the problem by an activated basement smoke detector.  The resident investigated and found heavy smoke and fire in the basement and immediately called 911 after they had safely exited the structure.  Approximately 45 firefighters from 4 companies of the Middletown Township Fire Department (Belford Engine, Belford Independent Fire, Middletown Number One, and Old Village Fire Companies additional support from the MTFD Air Unit, under the command of Department Chief John Gorsegner, responded to the scene.

 

The first arriving unit was Chief Steven Schweitzer who went into the structure to assess the situation.  He found the dryer fully involved in fire and extending to the rest of the laundry room.  Steven quickly applied two dry powder extinguishers to darken and slow the fire’s progress.  Other units arriving on the scene were directed to stretch two hand lines to extinguish the fire in the basement, perform salvage and overhaul to the basement contents and remove all smoke from the structure. The firefighters also stretched a 400 foot supply line to the nearest hydrant.  The aggressive attack contained the fire to primarily the basement laundry room area.  The attack resulted in some basement water damage and smoke contact throughout the structure.  The use of thermal imaging cameras confirmed that the fire had not extended beyond the area of origin.

The fire was declared under control by 6:24 PM.  The last units cleared the scene by 7:45 PM. 

There was no reported injury during the incident.  Twelve Emergency Medical Service workers provided EMS support.  The following squads provided the EMS support Middletown Township and Port Monmouth First Aid Squads.

The fire is being investigated by the Middletown Township Fire Marshall’s office.