mtfd china wokPHOTO: Smoke emanates from China Wok.  Picture courtesy of MTFD Photographer Laurie Kegley

MIDDLETOWN, NJ - At 0856 AM on Thursday December 31, 2015, the Middletown Township Fire Department was dispatched to smoke venting from the roof of a commercial structure at 307 Port Monmouth Road in the North Middletown section of the Township. Approximately 60 firefighters from 4 stations of the Middletown Township Fire Department (Belford Engine, Belford Independent, East Keansburg and Port Monmouth Fire Companies), under the command of Department Chief Rick Hibell responded to the scene.

 

The first arriving fire units encountered smoke and fire emanating from the kitchen exhaust system on the roof of the single story structure. Several activities were in progress in various parts of the structure. The firefighters quickly advanced two hand lines into the structure to suppress the flames on the first floor, they quickly removed the smoke from the structure while entering and checking the adjoining apartment and business for fire extension.

The firefighters ensured the fire was contained to the original structure with the use of Thermal Imaging Cameras (TICs). Then salvage and overhaul operations were performed to protect the contents of the structure.   There was heavy smoke and minor water damage to the structure. The firefighters used a series of fans to ventilate the toxic smoke from the structure.  Utilities to structure were secured.

Chief Hibell declared the fire under control at 0920AM. The last units cleared the scene by 1050 AM.

Assisting on the scene were the Middletown Township Fire Department’s Air Support Unit and Fire Police. The Port Monmouth and East Keansburg First Aid Squads stood by and provided EMS support during the incident. The Keansburg Fire Department provided mutual aide supplying an aerial device.

One firefighter sustained minor injuries and was transported to the Riverview Medical Center treated and release.

The fire is being investigated by the Middletown Township Fire Prevention office.