MIDDLETOWN, NJ - At 2:23 PM on Wednesday November 11, 2015, the Middletown Township Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 230 Main Street in the Port Monmouth section of the Township. Approximately 60 firefighters from 4 companies of the Middletown Township Fire Department (Belford Engine, Community, East Keansburg and Port Monmouth Fire Companies), under the command of Department Deputy Chief John Gorsegner responded to the scene.
The first arriving fire units encountered a heavy volume of smoke and heavy fire emanating from the kitchen on the second floor of the two story structure. Several activities were in progress in various parts of the structure. The firefighters quickly ensured that all residents had safely exited the structure and proceeded to extinguish the kitchen fire and quickly remove the smoke from the structure.
The firefighters ensured the fire was contained to the kitchen with the use of Thermal Imaging Cameras (TICs) and some overhaul. There was heavy smoke and minor water damage to other areas of the structure. The firefighters used a series of fans to ventilate the toxic smoke from the structure.
Chief Gorsegner declared the fire under control at 2:55 PM. The last units cleared the scene by 4:30 PM.
Assisting on the scene were the Middletown Township Fire Department’s Air Support Unit. The Port Monmouth First Aid Squad stood by during the incident.
There were no reported injuries during the incident.
The fire is being investigated by the Middletown Township Fire Prevention office.
Pictures courtesy of MTFD Photographer Laurie Kegley