MIDDLETOWN, NJ - At 8:23 PM on Tuesday October 6, 2015, the Middletown Township Fire Department was dispatched to a fire alarm at the Saint Mary’s Grammar School in the New Monmouth section of the Township. Approximately 55 firefighters from 4 companies of the Middletown Township Fire Department (Belford Independent, Belford Engine, Community and Port Monmouth Fire Companies), under the command of Department Chief Rick Hibell responded to the scene.
The first arriving fire units encountered a heavy volume of smoke inside the corridors of the main lobby area. Several activities were in progress in various parts of the large complex. The firefighters quickly ensured that everyone safely exited the building and proceeded to search for the source of the smoke.
The firefighters discovered a fire in a large storage room which was quickly extinguished. The fire was contained to the storage room. There was minor smoke and water damage to other areas of the building. The firefighter used a series of fans to ventilate the toxic smoke from the structure.
Chief Hibell declared the fire under control at 8:45 PM. The last units cleared the scene by 10:00 PM.
Assisting on the scene were the Middletown Township Fire Department’s Fire Police and Air Support Units. The Middletown, Port Monmouth, and Leonardo First Aid Squads stood by during the incident.
There were no reported injuries during the incident.
The fire is being investigated by the Middletown Township Fire Prevention office.
Pictures courtesy of MTFD Photographer Laurie Kegley