Middletown Fire Department responds to fire at Southview Terrace South. Credit: MTFD Photographer Laurie Kegley
MIDDLETOWN, NJ - At 8:37 AM on Sunday January 11th, 2015, the Middletown Township Fire Department was dispatched to a “smoke condition in the house at 51 Southview Terrace South” in the Old Village section of the Township. Approximately 70 firefighters from 5 companies of the Middletown Township Fire Department (Old Village, Middletown, Belford Independent, Belford Engine, and Community Fire Companies), under the command of Department Chief Rick Hibell, responded to the scene.
The first arriving Middletown police units observed smoke coming from the side of the chimney on a two and a half story residential structure at that location. First Assistant Fire Chief Tony Citarella confirmed a working structure fire in the second floor master bedroom. All the residents had evacuated the structure prior to the arrival of the responding emergency units. Crews from the Old Village Fire Company deployed hose lines through the front door and attacked the fire. The fire extended from the master bedroom through the second floor and into the attic before being extinguished. There was smoke and water damage throughout the house and the residence was deemed to be uninhabitable.
The Red Cross provided emergency shelter for the residents.
Chief Hibell declared the fire under control by 9:10 AM. The last units left the scene by 11:10 AM.
Also assisting on the scene were the Middletown Township Fire Department Air Support Unit and the Fairview & Middletown First Aid Squads.
There were no reported injuries during the incident.
The fire is being investigated by the Middletown Township Fire Prevention office.