MIDDLETOWN, NJ – Middletown Township has received an additional $400,000 in state funding to help township residents whose homes were damaged by Superstorm Sandy. Funding comes from the Superstorm Sandy Homeowner/Renter Assistance Program (SHRAP).
The township is the only municipality in New Jersey that applied and had been approved to administer the SHRAP directly to its residents. In total, the township has received more than $1.9 million in state funds to assist homeowners struggling to recover from the historic storm, said Township Administrator Anthony P. Mercantante, noting more than 1.5 million has already been distributed.
“I’m grateful that the township has been authorized to distribute additional SHRAP funds,” said Mayor Stephanie Murray. “The amount of funds expended so far clearly demonstrates the program is sorely needed here.”
Middletown’s program is available to residents whose homes were determined to be substantially damaged and that need assistance with housing-related expenses. Applications had to be accepted by June 30, 2014. No new applications can be accepted under the state program requirements. Payments are not made directly to residents. The additional funding will be used to provide assistance to eligible residents already in the program.