MIDDLETOWN, NJ - It is crucial that everyone applying for FEMA assistance to apply as soon as possible.
Monmouth County was included in a Major Disaster Declaration declared on October 30, 2012
FEMA representatives are starting to go door to door in the affected areas in Middletown Township.
What is Disaster Assistance?
Disaster assistance is financial or direct assistance to individuals and families whose property has been damaged or destroyed as a result of a federally-declared disaster, and whose losses are not covered by insurance. It is meant to help you with critical expenses that cannot be covered in other ways. This assistance is not intended to restore your damaged property to its condition before the disaster.
While some housing assistance funds are available through our Individuals and Households Program, most disaster assistance from the Federal government is in the form of loans administered by the Small Business Administration. Additional forms of assistance offered by the Federal government can be found on DisasterAssistance.gov. It is crucial that everyone applying for FEMA assistance to apply as soon as possible.
Apply for Assistance - There are three ways to apply for FEMA assistance:
- Apply Online at DisasterAssistance.gov
- Apply via a smartphone at m.fema.gov
- Apply by Phone:
- Call (800) 621-3362 (the best times to call are early in the morning & late in the day).
- Call TTY (800) 462-7585 for people with speech or hearing disabilities.
Whether applying online at DisasterAssistance.gov from your computer or smartphone, or over the phone through a FEMA call center, you should have a pen and paper and the following information ready:
- Your Social Security number
- Current and pre-disaster address
- A telephone number where you can be contacted
- Insurance information
- Total household annual income
- A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account) Lookup your bank routing number.
- A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster
After you've completed your application for assistance, you will receive a FEMA application number. Write down this number and keep it for future reference.