Meet a 15-foot Python, see The Swampgrass Jug-Band, see & adopt purr-fect kittens and cats from pet adoption network, and lots more at Holmdel’s Bayonet Farm Earth Day Festival.
Bayonet Farm is located at 41 Middletown Road, Holmdel.
Excitement is building as new and encore entertainers join the bill of the Fourteenth Annual Bayonet Farm Earth Day Festival! Held rain or shine, this free, ever-expanding event is a Holmdel tradition, attracting 500 visitors. The Festival comprises a full afternoon of fun, entertainment, live music and more – all with a “green” message. It will be held Sunday, April 29th from 12 noon until PM.
Live performances are held inside two classic Pennsylvania Dutch-style barns on the pastoral estate, now a preserved Holmdel Township Public Park.
The “RED BARN THEATRE”
photo Lois Wilkes
- Rizzo’s Reptile Discovery’s educator will blend nature, environment and conservation; come meet a15-foot Python, a crocodile, and more as part of this fun performance!
- “Be the Solution to Ocean Pollution!” Clean Ocean Action’s slogan is also the theme of this famous marine life advocates’ presentation. A first time Festival appearance!
- Arcadia Bird Sanctuary & Educational Center return with their smart, stunning parrots and other gorgeous feathered rescues.
- Free Children’s Crafts will be offered between shows: come make a pinecone bird feeder and art with recyclables!
- Go Geocaching! This modern version of Treasure Hunting is enjoyed by all ages. Learn how this sport works with a GPS: first, visit the “Go Geocaching!” table; later, search for the hidden cache! If you have access to a Hiker’s GPS (NOTE: not a car GPS), please bring it along.
- Kimisis Tis Theotokou Greek Orthodox Church Youth Group will have a Sculpture Exhibit and Indian Hill School artists will display posters, all with a “Green” theme
Live Bands will take the Star Barn stage with back-to-back Bluegrass, Folk, Jazz and Rock, all afternoon! As a special treat, The Swampgrass Jug-Band will be making a premiere appearance! The Festival thanks them for their generosity in bringing their own brand of Jug Band, Blues and Bluegrass to support Earth Day, free of charge – as do all of our great musicians! Returning by popular demand are Elliot Fischer, Late4Lunch and Lords of Lichtenstein. Also planning to rock are Holmdel’s popular Our Fellow Savages!
A staple of Bayonet Farm Festivals, the Tours evoke an era when this historic homestead was the gracious estate of heiress, actress, philanthropist, and Open Space advocate, Laura Harding. For over sixty years, Miss Harding held local civic gatherings and entertained glamorous Hollywood celebrities in this elegant space. Tours are free but limited; please sign-up at the “Greeters’ Table” as you enter the Festival. We will be providing a safe, supervised, “Comfy Story Corner” option to entertain youngsters while their parents enjoy the Tour.
What better way to celebrate Earth Day than in the great outdoors?
The Festival proudly welcomes Holmdel’s Finest and their magnificent K-9 Officers! Be sure to arrive early for this thrilling demonstration of tactical maneuvers at their practice facility located on the grounds!
After a sensational debut last year, Farm Friends Petting Zoo is returning! Bring the little ones to meet and feed these very sweet, gentle creatures. (Nominal fee.)
For those who wish to see even more of Holmdel’s natural beauty, the annual Earth Day Greenway Walk, led by Township Committeeman Larry Fink, will begin at 10am. For the first time in years, this hike will commence from the Ramanessin Brook Nature Trail, located across Middletown Road from Holmdel Village School. This trail is known to contain prehistoric shark teeth! An easy-to-moderate hike that ends at Bayonet Farm, at the Festival’s start.
The Earth Day Festival has always been sponsored by Holmdel's grassroots organization, Citizens for Informed Land Use (CILU) and by the Holmdel Environmental Commission (HEC.) These and like-minded organizations will have extensive displays, maps, and literature of special interest to Holmdel and Monmouth County residents. Expected are Monmouth County Master Gardeners and Master Composters, Holmdel Green Team (Try “Water Tasting!”), Holmdel Historical Society (Old fashioned Whisky Still!), Holmdel High School ECO Club, Venture Crew 10, Girl Scouts and more.
The “RED BARN DELI”
Meet family and friends for delicious lunches and coffee! Our renowned Gourmet Sandwiches sell out quickly; arrive early for egg salad from “Our Own Organic Holmdel Eggs!” Sabrett Hot Dogs, snacks, beverages, and home baked sweets round out the Menu. Also available will be free apples and oranges, an annual donation of wonderful Dearborn Farms! Finally, do not forget to pick up fresh desserts to bring home from the “Country Bake Shoppe!” (All food proceeds benefit future Festivals.)
Bayonet Farm is located at 41 Middletown Road (between McCampbell and Stillwell Roads), Holmdel, New Jersey 07733.
For more information, please call Carol at 732-946-9064.