ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS, NJ - The Atlantic Highlands branch of the Monmouth County Library will be closed for approximately two weeks, beginning Monday, April 9, in order to move to its new home in the renovated Borough Hall on
Atlantic Highlands Borough Hall also houses the library and police station.
A dedication ceremony at the Library’s new location is planned for Thursday, April 26, according to Atlantic Highlands Library Branch Manager Marilyn Scherfen.
The Library closing will enable workers to transfer all the books from the Library’s current location at 48 Avenue C, install a new circulation desk, move furniture and activate the computer system at the new location.
The new location in Borough Hall offers more space, including separate children’s and youth sections, and an activity room for programs.
The former Library in the old Borough Hall was approximately 1,800 square feet – the new Library has more than double that space at 4,000 square feet, according to Atlantic Highlands Borough Administrator Adam Hubeny.
The $5 million renovation of Borough Hall began in March 2010, and was completed in December 2011, Hubeny said. During the renovation, the Library moved to temporary quarters at 48 Avenue C.
During the April closure of the Library, patrons will still be able to drop books off and pick up holds placed on items at the Avenue C location. The book drop box at Avenue C will be open. Patrons should call the Library at 732-291-1956 for information prior to picking up holds.
Here are other ways library patrons can continue to use the Library:
- Visit any of the other branches of the Monmouth County Library. The two closest branches are: Hazlet Township Library at
251 Middle Road, 732-264-7164; and the Eastern Branch Library at 1001 Route 35 in , 1-866-941-8188. Shrewsbury
- Renew or request materials via the Library website: www.monmouthcountylib.org. You can indicate to which library you want your requests sent.
- If you need reference assistance, please call or visit any of the other libraries in the system. All Library staff will make every effort to accommodate your needs while the Atlantic Highlands branch is closed.
- Children’s programs are available at all our other branches. See the children’s page on the library website for a complete schedule.
- Patrons have access to the computers at all Monmouth County Library branches. Computer access is also available at the
Brookdale Northern Monmouth Higher Education Center, One Crown Plaza, off Union Avenuein Hazlet, 732-739-6010.
For more information, please call the Atlantic Highlands Library at 732-291-1956, or visit the Monmouth County Library webpage at www.monmouthcountylib.org