Red Bank, NJ – The Red Bank Borough School System invites kids and parents to YMCA’s Healthy Kids DayTM – the nation’s largest health day for families - and an interactive health fair on Saturday, April 9 at Red Bank Middle School. This free event is designed to encourage healthy living and engage families in physical activity such as dance and yoga. Other featured activities include health screenings and a fitness program for kids by Riverview Medical Center, and music from the Red Bank Middle School Jazz Band, plus healthy snacks.
“Our school system is pleased to join efforts with health and wellness organizations like the Y and Riverview Medical Center to help parents learn more about incorporating activity and healthier habits into their kids’ daily routines,” said Superintendent of Red Bank Borough Schools Laura Morana.
As a leading nonprofit strengthening community through healthy living, the Y holds Healthy Kids Day to teach healthy habits to children and inspire a lifetime love of physical activity. At a time when one in three children in the United States are overweight or obese (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), developing healthier habits that include more physical activity is more important than ever.
“By making time for active play every day, families can work together, have fun and achieve greater health and well-being for their spirit, mind and body,” said Lisa Christian, President and CEO of The Community YMCA.
While the kids are putting play in their day at the event, Riverview Medical Center will be conducting health screenings for parents including cholesterol, glucose, pulse, body mass index and stroke risk assessment.
“Riverview Medical Center is once again proud to partner with The Community YMCA and celebrate our shared commitment of encouraging a healthy lifestyle among our community members,” said Tim Hogan, FACHE, president of Riverview Medical Center. “Meridian Health is committed to improving the health and well-being of the residents of New Jersey by providing quality, patient-centered health care services both within Riverview Medical Center and at Meridian's pediatric programs and services located throughout Monmouth County.”
Healthy snacks will be provided by Smoothie King and Costco. Activities and information booths throughout the day will include: interactive video fitness games; Modell’s Big Dice game with giveaways; arts and crafts, obstacle course, face painting and water safety from the Y; dental health and hygiene information by Parker Family Health Center; nutrition by the Monmouth County Health Commission; Child ID program by the Red Bank Police Department; and, these scheduled activities:
- 9:30-10 a.m. – Family Yoga
- 10 -10:30 a.m. – Boot Camp
- 10:30- 11 a.m. - Zumba
- 11-11:30 a.m. – Fitness program with Hopscotch from K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital Pawsitive Action Team
- 11:30 a.m. –12 noon- Drum demonstration
Families may also attend Healthy Kids Day activities at these locations on April 9:
- Camp Arrowhead, 521 Route 520, Marlboro – This event will take place from 12-3 p.m. and will feature Hoop Shoot Relays with members of the Monmouth University Women’s Basketball Team, healthy snacks, nature crafts and a one-mile family walk at 2:30 p.m.
- Camp Zehnder, 3911 Herbertsville Road, Wall – Kids can try trail biking on camp trail and will learn about bike and helmet safety at this Healthy Kids Day event, 9 a.m.-noon. Healthy snacks will be provided and the morning will end with a one-mile family walk at 11:30 a.m.
- Hazlet Children’s Achievement Center, 745 Poole Ave., Hazlet – From 1- 4 p.m.
- Matawan Children’s Achievement Center, 201 Board Street, Matawan – From 1-4 p.m. Activities at both Hazlet and Matawan include safety talks from local fire and police departments, dental hygiene, karate, yoga and Zumba demonstrations, nutritional cooking lessons, puppet shows, arts and crafts, face painting and healthy snacks.
Event: YMCA’s Healthy Kids DayTM & Community Health Fair
Time: 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
When: Saturday, April 9, 2011
Where: Red Bank Middle School, 101 Harding Road, Red Bank, NJ