HAZLET, NJ - The Hazlet Township branch of the Monmouth County Library will close after Saturday, Jan. 15, for a three-month renovation project.
The $121,500 renovation will replace ceilings throughout the library building, according to Stacey Cherichello, consulting engineer from CME Associates. New lighting will also be added.
For library patrons’ convenience, a “library express” window will be available at Hazlet Town Hall 1766 Union Avenue, in Veterans Park. Patrons can pick up holds and return materials at this location. The hours will be as follows:
-- Mondays, 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
-- Tuesdays, 4:30 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.
-- Wednesdays, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
-- Thursdays, 9 a.m. – Noon
The last day the library will be open to patrons will be on Saturday, Jan. 15. Hours on that day will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The project is scheduled to be completed by mid-April, according to Cherichello. The contractor for the project is Peterson and Staeger, Inc. of Keyport.
Workers plan to shrink-wrap and cover the book stacks in the library, to avoid the cost of moving all the materials out of the building, Cherichello said.
The project for new ceilings and lighting has been in the works for some time, and will overall improve the condition of the building, according to Beth Henderson, branch manager. “We look forward to welcoming our patrons back in the spring with a cleaner, brighter look,” Henderson said.
Beginning January 12, please call 732-683-2274 to renew or request any library items
Here’s how library patrons can continue to use the library during renovations:
- Visit any of the other branches of the Monmouth County Library. Holmdel Library, located at 4 Crawfords Corner Road, 732-946-4118, is closest to the Hazlet Library.
- Renew or request materials via the library website: www.monmouthcountylib.org. You can indicate to which library you want your requests sent. If you select Hazlet, you can pick up your materials at the library express window in Town Hall.
- The book drop at the library will be emptied daily through Friday, February 4. Please don’t place items in it if the chute is already full. (And please don’t place any donations in the book drop!) Materials can also be returned at Town Hall Monday through Thursday for the duration of the closing. Items also can be returned at any Monmouth County Library branch. Patrons will still be responsible for returning their materials on time.
- If the library’s website indicates an item is available to you, it will be available for pick-up when you’ve received a call from the library staff.
- If you need reference assistance, please call or visit any of the other libraries in the system. All library staff will make every effort to accommodate your needs while the Hazlet branch is closed.
- Children’s programs are available at all our other branches. See the children’s page on the library website for a complete schedule.
- Patrons have access to the computers at all Monmouth County Library branches. Computer access is also available at the Brookdale Northern Monmouth Higher Education Center, One Crown Plaza, off Union Avenue in Hazlet, 732-739-6010.
For more information, please call the Hazlet Library at 732-264-7164, or visit the Monmouth County Library webpage at www.monmouthcountylib.org