Users can explore and enjoy county-based attractions online
FREEHOLD, NJ – The Monmouth County Division of Planning has announced the launch of its Cultural and Heritage Virtual Tour series. The series provides eight virtual tours of interconnected historic, natural, cultural, and arts attractions throughout Monmouth County, modeled after state and federal scenic byway programs as recommended in the 2016 Monmouth County Master Plan. The online format allows for flexibility in route selection, allowing visitors to explore a variety of points of interest along each route.
The Cultural & Heritage Virtual Tours program was designed to increase public awareness about the many natural, cultural, historic, scenic, architectural, institutional, and commemorative sites located in Monmouth County. Each tour has a unique theme which showcases numerous attractions throughout Monmouth County in categories including: scenic, historic, architectural, art, cultural, science and technology, military, civic spaces, neighborhoods, crossroad/downtowns/commercial districts, pop, culture, myth/folklore/legends, unique or unusual and more. Some sites are privately held and not open to the public. The complete series results in a network of tours featuring all 53 towns in Monmouth County.
Freeholder Deputy Director Lillian Burry, liaison to the Division of Planning, said, “We are thrilled to announce the launch of the Monmouth County Cultural & Heritage Virtual Tours. In addition to connecting our communities, the program showcases our Grown in Monmouth economic development initiatives by featuring partners in the program, while supporting local and regional tourism.”
Eight tours are available by visiting the Monmouth County Division of Planning Webpage or link directly to the site through http://bit.ly/monmouthmap. They include:
- South Monmouth Emerald Byway: Travel through parks and open space along the Manasquan Greenway across southern Monmouth County.
- Monmouth County Crossroads Byway: Take a journey through American history along our historic crossroads following Revolutionary War troop movement from Millstone to Sandy Hook via Monmouth Battlefield.
- MoCo Cultural Byway: Discover the best cultural happenings and places to be down the Jersey Shore between Matawan and Manasquan.
- Bayshore Drive: Unexpected natural beauty and fascinating stories abound in the waterfront towns of the Raritan Bayshore.
- Country to Coast Byway: Travel through time from villages and horse farms to boats and beaches.
- Ocean Drive: Meander along our famous Jersey Shore towns, beaches and boardwalks.
- Two River Tri-Way: Enjoy the peninsula’s picturesque charm and community-based culture that defines the Two River region.
- Upper Freehold Historic Farmland Byway: The lush rolling hills and farmland of Upper Freehold set alongside colonial Allentown provide the backdrop for this loop tour through the rural reaches of western Monmouth County.
Monmouth County towns, local tourism boards and chambers of commerce are encouraged to link to the Cultural & Heritage Virtual Tours to generate interest in visiting their communities. The tours can also be used as a tool by educators to teach students about local history, science, geography, arts, culture, innovation, architecture and city planning.