West Long Branch, NJ - The Monmouth University Sports Hall of Fame has announced the inductees chosen for the class of 2010. The distinguished class of 2010 includes Ricardo Langre Castellanos '95, tennis; Cindy Hook Chandler '83, basketball; John Giraldo '96, basketball; Jonathan Kalnas '02, track and field; Danae Stillitano Pesce '00, softball; and Robert Sprague '70, baseball.
The Monmouth University Sports Hall of Fame 2010 Induction Dinner will be held Friday, October 15, at 6:30 p.m. in historic Wilson Hall. Master of ceremonies will be Dave Popkin, renowned sportscaster and Monmouth County native. Dinner tickets are $100 per person. Please call the Office of Alumni Affairs at 732-571-3489 to make reservations.
In addition, inductees will be honored in a half time ceremony during the Hawks' football game on Saturday, October 16 when Monmouth hosts Bryant. Kick-off is at Noon.
- Ricardo Langre Castellanos '95, Tennis - Champion of the “A” Flight in the 1994 Northeast Conference Tournament, and runner-up in 1995 · Two-time Team MVP · Represented Mexico in the 1995 Japan College Games · Selected to the 1998 Davis Cup Team
- Cindy Hook Chandler '83, Basketball- Finished Monmouth career with 1,473 points (sixth all-time) and 1,051 rebounds, the second woman to reach 1,000/1,000 milestone · Named 1983 Female Athlete of the Year · 1983 CoSIDA Academic All-American
- John Giraldo '96, Basketball - Two-time First-Team All-Northeast Conference selection · Tied for first on Monmouth’s all-time scoring list with 1,749 career points · Ranks first in career steals (260) and second all-time in assists (492) · Helped Monmouth to the 1996 NEC Tournament Championship and first NCAA Tournament
- Jonathan Kalnas '02, Track and Field - Two-time Monmouth University Male Athlete of the Year · 2001 Penn Relays Champion · 2002 U.S. National Finalist · Three time Division I All-American · 2004 and 2008 Olympic Trials Qualifier · Owns the Monmouth University Shot Put Record
- Danae Stillitano Pesce '00, Softball- Three-time First-Team All-Northeast Conference performer · Two-time Monmouth University Female Athlete of the Year · 1996 NEC Newcomer of the Year, and 1998 NEC Player of the Year · All-time leader in hits, runs scored and triples · Two-time First-Team Regional All-American
- Robert Sprague '70, Baseball- Coached Monmouth Baseball for 12 years and initiated fall baseball · Won eight District 31 Titles · Led Monmouth to the 1977 NAIA College World Series · Named District 31 Coach of the Year seven times · New Jersey Sports Writers “Coach of the Year” three times · 27 players drafted by Major League teams
The Monmouth University Sports Hall of Fame was established in 1981 to recognize, honor, and perpetuate the achievements of members of the Monmouth University family who have made outstanding contributions to Monmouth University athletics. These individuals have helped to bring recognition, honor, distinction, and excellence to Monmouth University and its athletic programs.
The Hall of Fame Selection Committee solicited alumni and the general public for the names of eligible nominees.
For more information about the event please contact Associate Athletic Director Clint Wulfekotte at (732) 263-5750.