New Jersey Natural Gas Encourages Customers to Prepare Now for the Heating Season
WALL, N.J. – New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) encourages customers to start getting their homes ready for the winter ahead. Properly preparing your home for cold weather can help save energy, keep your winter energy bills under control and ensure that you and your family stay safe and warm when temperatures drop. Following are some helpful tips to keep in mind as the heating season approaches:
- Ensure your heating system is operating at peak performance. A preseason inspection and routine maintenance performed by a professional heating contractor can help ensure your heating system is operating efficiently and effectively. You can save money and increase your comfort by properly maintaining and upgrading your equipment.
- Inspect your furnace’s air filter. Clean or replace your furnace’s air filter a minimum of every three months, or as needed, to increase efficiency. A dirty or clogged filter will demand more energy and slow down the heating process.
- Seal gaps and weather strip to significantly reduce energy loss. Air infiltrates in and out of your home from every hole, nook and cranny. Warm air leaking out of your home during the winter can waste a lot of energy and dollars. Now is also the time to check your carbon monoxide (CO) detector. When homes are sealed up against cold weather, there is greater chance of dangerous buildup of CO. Remember to replace your CO detector every five to seven years as per manufacturers’ recommendations.
- Add insulation to your attic. It’s one of the most cost-effective ways to make your home more comfortable. Also, check the insulation in your basement walls, floors and crawl space to see if it meets the levels recommended for your area by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Keep the fireplace damper closed when your fireplace is not in use. An open flue allows heat to escape right up the chimney.
- Use a programmable thermostat and keep it at a moderate temperature in the winter.A programmable thermostat can automatically change your home’s temperature settings at certain times of day to maximize your home’s comfort and save money. Remember, every 24-hour period the heat is lowered by one degree can save three percent on your heating bill.
- Get a comprehensive home energy audit. For just $250, NJNG energy auditors are available to help you identify energy-savings opportunities in your home before the cold weather kicks in. Or, if you prefer, call NJNG’s The SAVEGREEN Project® for a list of certified contractors at 877-455-NJNG (6564).
For more energy-saving tips from NJNG, visit www.njng.com and click on Save Energy & Money. Customers can use NJNG’s Conserve to Preserve Dashboard for a customized online energy audit and recommendations to make your home more energy-efficient and comfortable. Also visit savegreenproject.com to learn about available rebates and incentives for energy-efficiency upgrades.
About New Jersey Resources
New Jersey Resources (NYSE: NJR) is a Fortune 1000 company that, through its subsidiaries, provides safe and reliable natural gas and clean energy services, including transportation, distribution, asset management and home services. With annual revenues in excess of $2.7 billion, NJR is comprised of five primary businesses:
- New Jersey Natural Gas, NJR’s principal subsidiary, operates and maintains over 7,300 miles of natural gas transportation and distribution infrastructure to serve over half a million customers in New Jersey’s Monmouth, Ocean and parts of Morris, Middlesex, Sussex and Burlington counties.
- NJR Energy Services manages a diversified portfolio of natural gas transportation and storage assets and provides physical natural gas services to its customers across North America.
- NJR Clean Energy Ventures invests in, owns and operates solar and onshore wind projects with a total capacity of more than 235 megawatts, providing residential and commercial customers with low-carbon solutions.
- NJR Midstream serves customers from local distributors and producers to electric generators and wholesale marketers through its 50 percent equity ownership in the Steckman Ridge natural gas storage facility and its stake in Dominion Midstream Partners, L.P., as well as its 20 percent equity interest in the PennEast Pipeline Project.
- NJR Home Services provides service contracts as well as heating, central air conditioning, water heaters, standby generators, solar and other indoor and outdoor comfort products to residential homes throughout New Jersey.
NJR and its more than 1,000 employees are committed to helping customers save energy and money by promoting conservation and encouraging efficiency through Conserve to Preserve® and initiatives such as The SAVEGREEN Project® and The Sunlight Advantage®.