Leonardo, NJ – From fun and engaging activities for kids to support groups for teens and adults, The Community YMCA’s Bayshore Family Success Center is offering a wide variety of free programs this fall to help strengthen individuals and families.
The center has been a welcoming gathering place for over 1,700 residents in the Bayshore region since it first opened three years ago. Now located at the Henry Hudson Trail Activity Center on Highway 36 in Leonardo, the center is part of a network of state-funded Family Success Centers.
“We are proud to give families in the Bayshore area a variety of supportive and useful resources, from fun family activities to helpful employment and housing-related services,” said center Director Darcy Dobens.
The center opened in April 2013 and operated out of the Union Beach Memorial Library before relocating in September 2014 to its current location.
A sampling of programs that will offered this fall includes:
- Fit & Fun Club – A great way for school-age girls to enjoy time together while establishing healthy habits. Available Mondays, Sept. 20 – Nov. 9, 4-5 p.m. at the center. The classes are led by the Y’s health & wellness team.
- Sandy Support Group – Superstorm Sandy survivors are invited to share their stories and life changes in a supportive environment. The support group will meet the first Thursday of every month beginning in October at Bay Avenue Bakery & Café, Highlands, from 6-7:30 p.m.
- Parent Support Group – Parents and caregivers of children with special needs are welcome to attend a monthly support group offered at two different locations: at the center, every 1st Thursday of the month from 6:30-8 p.m. starting Oct. 1 or at St. Mark’s in Keansburg, every 4th Monday from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. beginning Oct. 26.
- Teen Drug Prevention Program – In collaboration with the CFC Loud N Clear Foundation and the Y’s Outpatient Program in Matawan, this program will empower young people ages 12 to 16, to live healthy and drug free. The girls program will take place Thursday, Oct. 8, 15, 22 and 29 and the boys program on Monday, Nov. 2, 9, 16 and 23. Both programs will be offered at the center.
- After School Parent/Child Playgroup – Children ages 2-4 and their parents/caregivers will enjoy music, playtime and making new friends on Mondays, Oct. 5- Nov. 16, 1-1:45 p.m. at the center.
Along with new programs, the center’s hours will be adjusted starting Sept. 1 as follows:
Monday, Tuesday and Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Wednesday and Thursday: 11 – 7 p.m.; Saturday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Alicia Maresco,volunteer and community partnership coordinator, said the center is looking forward to helping families start the new school year “strong.”
”As we begin our third year serving the Bayshore community, we are excited to meet more of our neighbors and to provide engaging activities and resources for all families and residents,” Maresco said.
For program registration and more information, call the center at 732.497.3811 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.