mold

Photo: Woman removes mold from her home.

FREEHOLD, NJ – Monmouth County officials advise residents to be on the lookout for signs of mold in areas of your home and property that may have been impacted by Superstorm Sandy.

“Mold can damage your home, possessions and cause health problems,” said Freeholder John P. Curley, liaison to the Monmouth County Health Department. “The longer you allow mold to grow, the greater the risk and the more difficult the cleanup. As we continue to recover from Superstorm Sandy, it is important to perform a thorough inspection to be sure there are no lingering mold hazards in your home or business.”

“Under the right conditions, molds produce spores that spread easily through the air to form new mold growths, or colonies,” said Michael Meddis, Monmouth County’s public health coordinator. “These conditions are moisture, nutrients (nearly anything organic) and a place to grow.”

Usually you do not need to have the mold tested and tests are rarely useful to answer questions about health concerns. However, some insurance companies and legal services may require sampling for documentation if you are filing a claim.

The best way to avoid mold hazards is to hire a reputable firm that is licensed and trained in dealing with water damage and mold remediation.

The County Health Department offers the following tips for dealing with mold:

 

Where to look for mold:

  • Any area where moisture is present or flooding has occurred
  • Basements, crawl spaces and attics

What to look for:

  • Discoloration on walls or ceiling that continues to grow or change color
  • A pungent, musty smell

Eliminating mold

  • Identify and correct the source of moisture
  • Remove and/or clean mold-contaminated materials
  • Ensure that the area is completely dry before doing any renovation or construction work
  • Wear gloves, a respirator, protective clothing and goggles when removing mold

 

For more information, click http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/mold/ at www.ready.nj.gov/ webpage.