New Storm Brewing on the Anniversary of Hurricane Irene
Hamilton, NJ, August 27, 2012 – Today is the one year anniversary of Hurricane Irene’s arrival in New Jersey, and whether or not you believe in déjà vu, the east coast could very well be looking at a similar situation as Tropical Storm Isaac begins to stir things up in the Atlantic. That’s right, another “I”-storm could impact the region just in time for the Labor Day holiday weekend.
Could Isaac be another Irene? At this point it is too early to tell, but much like last year, advance preparation is critical as we approach a period of typically heightened tropical storm activity (mid-August through mid-September) with the potential to impact the U.S. East Coast.
“Don’t wait until an approaching storm threatens,” said Tracy Noble, spokesperson for AAA Mid-Atlantic. “While we can’t control the weather, being prepared is essential to being safe and to protecting your home.”
AAA Mid-Atlantic has a number of important tips to help homeowners prepare and protect their families and property in the event of a storm-related emergency.
AAA Hurricane Preparedness Tips
Supplies and Family:
- Create a family communications plan. Practice the plan with your family well in advance.
- Maintain an emergency survival kit with at least 72 hours worth of food, water, and other emergency supplies.
- Keep a battery-powered radio for access to emergency management information.
- Know your community’s evacuation routes.
- Install an emergency generator.
Home and Property:
- Remove large trees and branches that may fall on your house.
- Install permanent storm shutters or have 5/8” marine plywood pre-cut and ready to board up windows.
- Secure your roof to the house frame with anchor straps or clips to reduce storm damage.
- Keep gutters and downspouts debris-free and reinforce your garage door.
- Be prepared to move large items like lawn furniture or garbage cans indoors.
If you have questions about whether your AAA homeowners policy covers losses due to hurricane damage, check with your insurance agent. You can also go to www.aaa.com/insurance to find an agent and to get a quote.