TRENTON, NJ - The Coalition for Medical Marijuana--New Jersey (CMMNJ) will publicly destroy a copy of the Federal Register that contains a ruling by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) that marijuana is not medicine. The demonstration is planned for Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 12 noon in front of the Trenton Federal Building at 402 E. State St., Trenton, NJ. The demonstration will coincide with similar demonstrations across the country in honor of national Medical Marijuana Week (Feb. 13-17).
The Federal Register Vol. 76 No.131 dated July 8, 2011 contains the DEA’s most recent denial of a petition to reschedule marijuana. The DEA continues to insist that marijuana is appropriate as a Schedule I drug. Schedule I drugs have “no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States;” lack “accepted safety for use under medical supervision;” and, have “a high potential for abuse.”
Ken Wolski, RN, executive director of the Coalition for Medical Marijuana--New Jersey (CMMNJ) said, “It is an outrage that the federal government continues to deny the benefits, and exaggerate the dangers of marijuana. This is an affront to the laws of 16 states, an affront to scores of healthcare organizations, an affront to the emerging science of medical marijuana, and an affront to countless patients nationwide who use marijuana with their doctor’s recommendation.”
Americans for Safe Access, a national medical marijuana organization, suggests specific actions during Medical Marijuana Week:
1. Monday, February 13: Call the White House at 202-456-1414 and tell President Obama to keep his promise not to use Justice Department resources to undermine state laws.
2. Tuesday, February 14: Contact Congress, 202-224-3121, and urge your representative to sponsor legislation to reclassify cannabis and end federal interference in state programs.
3. Wednesday, February 15: Ask your Governor to sign the DEA Rescheduling Petition. Find your Governor's contact information by clicking here.
4. Thursday, February 16 @ Noon: Join a rally near you! Click here for a full list of rallies.
5. Friday, February 17: Help fund the fight for safe access. Find out how by clicking here
WHO: The Coalition for Medical Marijuana--New Jersey, Inc. www.cmmnj.org
WHAT: Will destroy a copy of the DEA’s recent ruling that marijuana is not medicine
WHEN: Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 12 noon
WHERE: Trenton Federal Building, 402 E. State St., Trenton, NJ 08608
WHY: New Jersey is one of 16 states that recognize marijuana as medicine