Freeholders select long-time county employee to fill post
FREEHOLD, NJ – Long-time Monmouth County employee Marion Masnick has been promoted to the position of the clerk to the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders. She had been serving as deputy clerk to the board since December 2008.
Masnick of Howell is the first woman to ever hold that position. She has been a Monmouth County employee since 1986, when she was Freeholder Ted Narozanick’s secretary until he retired in 2006. After that she was secretary to Freeholder Director William C. Barham until he retired in 2008.
The Board of Chosen Freeholders voted March 10 to elevate Masnick to the clerk post. She had been serving as the interim clerk of the board since the retirement of James S. Gray in November 2010. Under the resolution that was passed, Masnick’s appointment is effective for a term of three years.
“Marion is the most qualified person for the job,” Freeholder Director Robert D. Clifton said. “She worked her way up through the ranks and her appointment is well-earned.”
The clerk of the board keeps a book of the minutes and a record of the orders and proceedings of the Board of Chosen Freeholders. The clerk has custody of the official seal of the county and all records, documents and other official papers relating to the property and business of the county.
The functions performed by the clerk of the board include:
- recording the official minutes of the Board
- handling Board correspondence
- preparing meeting agendas
- processing, filing and advertising ordinances, resolutions and the county budget
- serving as a liaison between the public and the Board
- administering and recording oaths of office
- signing official documents
- attesting the signatures of officers and officials
- maintaining a receipt of service of legal documents, and
- serving as custodian for several county departments for the Open Public Records Act (OPRA)
In 2008, Masnick was promoted to deputy clerk. She also serves as secretary for the Monmouth County Improvement Authority. Her annual salary is $80,000. She earned $78,339 previously.