Subscribe FREE to the Daily AHHerald Newsbrief
Published: 07 April 2013
40 historic Monmouth County sites to be open for visits May 4 and 5
FREEHOLD, NJ – “Weekend in Old Monmouth” returns for the fourth year with 40 historic sites throughout Monmouth County opening their doors to visitors interested in local history. Hours for most sites are from to on Saturday, May 4 and from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 5.
“Weekend in Old Monmouth is a wonderful event for anyone interested in history and architecture,” said Freeholder Lillian G. Burry, liaison to the county’s Historical Commission, coordinator of the weekend event. “The sites on the tour are generally operated independently of one another, but this special tour project coordinates the hours of operation at 45 locations so history buffs can travel by foot, bicycle or car to enjoy and take in many of the county’s rich historic places all in one weekend.”
The 2013 tour includes six new locations: Keyport Fire Museum in Keyport, Monmouth Battle Monument at the Monmouth County Courthouse in Freehold, Old Yellow Meeting House in Upper Freehold, Red Bank Woman’s Club in Red Bank, the Borough of Roosevelt and Wilson Hall at Monmouth University in West Long Branch.
“Despite Superstorm Sandy’s best efforts, all but one of the sites from last year’s tour are back,” said Burry. “We are thrilled that all the sites came through the storm and are enthusiastically getting ready for this year’s Weekend in Old Monmouth.”
“The tour includes 45 sites and each illustrates a piece of local history,” Randall Gabrielan, executive director of the Historical Commission. “The outlined tours help put the pieces together thematically or geographically. Many previous tour visitors have elected to see the places in an order of their own selection. The proposed starting points are just suggestions for those who may be seeking guidance.”
You can start planning your route by previewing the tour sites on the county’s Web site at www.visitmonmouth.com. After April 15, a detailed tour book and tour map will be available on the Monmouth County website at www.visitmonmouth.com. On the tour dates, each tour stop will also have maps and booklets available.
The tours also represent several historic themes:
- Shore: While the tour includes sites on the north, (Sandy Hook), central (Ocean Grove) and southern shores, (National Guard Militia Museum) the drive along the shore is one of the best ways to feel and appreciate Monmouth County’s relationship to the Ocean.
- Faith: Architectural gems of each of the last three centuries, 18th century Christ Church in
Shrewsbury, 19th century All Saints Memorial in Middletownand 20th century St. Catharine’s in . In addition, Spring Lake in Manalapan is closely tied to the Battle of Monmouth and the Friends Meeting House in Old Tennent Church Shrewsburyrepresents one of the oldest worship traditions in . Monmouth County
- The Revolutionary War: The Revolution is visited here, not only the major sites in the Monmouth Battlefield area, but in lesser known places such as the Burrowes Mansion in Matawan, Marlpit Hall and the Murray Farm, both in Middletown.
- Military: There is Fort Hancock at Sandy Hook, the most heavily fortified installation on the East Coast for much of the 20th century, the National Historic Landmark Monmouth Battlefield in Manalapan and one of the more fascinating, but lesser known museums, the New Jersey National Guard Militia Museum in Sea Girt with museum exhibits and fighter aircraft and tanks.
- Preservation: Marlpit Hall in
Middletownwas the first restored house museum in the region, dating from its 1930s opening.
Other elements on the tour also include lighthouses, Victorian homes, agriculture, industry, education and science. All of the sites contributed to the importance of preservation and history throughout
A site list and map are available on the county’s website at www.visitmonmouth.com.
Tour Site, Municipality
All Saints Memorial Church,
Allaire Historic Village, Wall
Centennial Cottage, Ocean Grove,
Covenhoven House, Freehold
Dr Cooke’s Medical Office, Holmdel
First Presbyterian Church, Rumson
Friends Meeting House,
Great Auditorium, Ocean Grove
Holmes-Hendrickson House, Holmdel
Keyport Fire Museum, Keyport
Longstreet Farm, Historic, Holmdel
MacKenzie House, Howell
Marlpit Hall & Taylor-Butler House,
Monmouth Battlefield Monument at the Monmouth County Courthouse, Freehold
Monmouth Battlefield State Park, Manalapan
Joseph Murray Farmhouse,
Oakley Farm House,
Ocean Grove Historical Museum, Ocean Grove
Old Yellow Meeting House, Upper Freehold
Red Bank Woman’s Club, Red Bank
St. Catharine’s Church, Spring Lake
Seabright Lawn Tennis & Cricket Club, Rumson
Twin Lights Lighthouse,
Village Inn, Englishtown
Old Wall Historical Society, Wall
Walnford, Historic, Upper Freehold
Wilson Hall at Monmouth University, West Long Branch
West Freehold School Museum, Freehold Township